Monday, January 19, 2009

We're Almost There!


Wow! Only four more days until we leave on this great adventure. For those who don't know already, we have the wonderful opportunity of going to Saipan for 5 weeks. We leave on Friday morning. Those going are J.Ward, Cindy, Alan and Heather. Unfortunately, the rest of the family have school/work and will be unable to come this time around. J.Ward has been hired to go over to Saipan to work for The Palms Resort. They have purchased 6 telescopes and needed someone to come and set up an educational program in Astronomy. Boy do we feel blessed that J. is the one that gets to do it!

When this whole thing started I knew nothing about Saipan (thought it was somewhere in China). I know now that Saipan is a small island in the Northern Mariannas, approximately 120 north of Guam. It is a 46.5 square mile piece of tropical paradise. Much World War II history took place on the island. I look forward to getting to know much, much more!

I always feel a little blue this time of year. Maybe because I was raised in sunny California, I get quite weary of the cold and snow during the months of January and February. Every year I daydream of spending the month of February on a tropical island somewhere. "Calgon, take me away!" Well, this year that dream has become a reality!

I love the ocean! I love the feeling of standing on the beach, watching the waves crash into the shore. I relish the sounds and the smells of the cool sea air and I bask in the feelings of greatness and majesty. Perhaps it is what J. feels when he looks to the heavens...Being near the ocean I feel a nearness to my Heavenly Father that I get no where else except the temple. This opportunity is truely a gift and it is my hope that we will be able to make new friends, experience new cultures and just soak it all up like a sponge.

I will do my best to keep this site updated often while we are gone. As soon as we have some pictures I will post them. So, if you are interested and want to share this adventure with us check back often. See you in Saipan!!

1 comment:

  1. OMG I am soo jelous! You guys are soo lucky...take lots of pictures and bring back lots of souvineers!

    ReplyDelete